6.06.2010

For All I Can't Do

We often focus on the negative stuff in life and quickly forget about all the positive. We set out on a journey, over three years ago. After many different twists and turns, here we are...in the midst of the blessing. There's so much I can't control for my girls and boys. I can't shelter them from all the hurt and disappointment in this world. I can't fix every little thing in their lives and always make it all better. I can help them learn to focus on the blessing in every bad situation. Lately, I had lost that ability for myself. I was on the downward spiral of thinking...I can't fix this, I can't make this all better. The truth is that I wasn't called to do that for any of them. I was called to love them through the pain and heartache and even disappointment of life. Suddenly the helplessness of all I can't do...is put in it's place and changed to...but I can handle loving them consistently everyday, no matter what.

I can find the blessing in a statement from Caragan 'I like it here'. She said that the other day. Her English continues to grow rapidly. She was sitting on a porch in a rocking chair. We had just enjoyed a family meal together and we did alot of laughing...joking with one another. She had spoken to some of her old friends in China earlier in the week...and I think she was reminded about where she has been and how far she has come. I thought she meant she liked the porch...turns out she meant she liked her new life here with us. WoW! I so needed to hear that. It doesn't matter that I can't fix it all. What matters is that she is right were she wants to be. The other details will work themselves out....one day at a time.

Caragan continues to interact more with her friends here...on FB and even when we go to events around town. She is plugged into our life together here...and that makes her Mommy really happy. She is about half way through her Rosetta Stone program for English and we have set a goal for her to have completed it by Summer's end. One of her friends comes home from China with her Forever Family in the next few months. Hopefully, she will get to see her by the end of the year...that makes her really excited. These girls need this bond to continue for a lifetime. She has told her friend that she really likes it here with her family, hoping that she will feel more at ease about coming to America.

Summertime is bringing so many firsts for Caragan...putt-putt (she got a hole in one!), concerts, many beach trips with time in the Ocean, Pool, etc. She loves the beach just like the rest of her family. We have to teach her to swim. We hope to go to an Amusement Park and a Water Park and experience lots of other things with her this summer.

KateLin continues to thrive, although she is going through a phase that can be difficult at times, she just plays her options. LOL. She just got through with her very first dance/tumbling recital. She was exquisite. I teared up thinking about her Gotcha Day and how with withdrawn she was from life. Now she's this little socialite that loves going and doing whatever she possibly can. The more attention and craziness the better for her. She likes dancing and loved being in tumbling. You could tell that she loved what she was doing.

Logan got about 5 awards at awards day at school the other day. He is now a rising 6th grader, which means he changes to the Middle School next year. He has grown so much this year, about 4 inches...WOW! He is as tall as his Nana. :)) I am watching him become a young man, instead of a little boy. He continues to show his wit and humor. I say he gets the intelligence from his Dad, but the humor from me. LOL.

Christian is growing and changing so much too. He really loves his sisters! He is always full of energy, but lately I can tell he channels it more into what he likes and wants to do. He will eat us out of house and home but stays skinny as a rail. Wish I had that metabolism. Ha! He's grown about 2 inches this year too. He did so good in school, I was so proud of him. He's a rising 3rd grader next year.

All my kids made A's and B's on their report cards. They all had straight A averages for the year. How cool is that!!! Makes a Mommy so very Proud. :))

So I guess....for all I can't do for my kids...they prove to me daily that I don't have to do it all. Some things just take care of themselves. I need to focus on all I have done and can do for them instead of what I can't control.

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I know sometimes I want to try and fix things that I really can't. It can be hard to find a balance.

    Glad to hear that Caragan is doing so well! Your kids did awesome in school! Glad y'all are having a fun summer so far!

    One of my blogging friends is going to China to pick up her new son in a couple weeks. She's so excited! I know she'll be just as happy as y'all are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Hope- it brings back memories of that little limp bodied girl that would lay in your lap and not look at anyone ( as opposed to screaming in the floor for 2 hours:) ). Seems so long ago and they have come so far. We too have made some lifelong memories together. WE love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete