1.09.2011

EXchange Student

My family looks different. We are biracial...and transcultural. Those are just two dollar words for my daughters are Asian and me and Lance are Caucasian. We belong to different races as well as originate from different cultures. My girls automatically stand out because they 'look' different. We are a conspicuous family. We get looks alot. That is an understatement. We get stares...and smiles and even lots of questions. The most recent question, completely innocent, of course was the other nite in a restaurant. The question was directed toward Caragan as she was trying to order her own supper. The person ask....if she was an exchange student. I just smiled as always and said NOPE...she's our's...just like the other three...I have 'papers' on her too. It was a legitimate question, but I had to laugh at the assumption. We often get "is she really your's"...and I always have a fast comeback prepared for that one too. As I touch one of the girls...I always say they are REAL...and I know I am....and I have proof at home that I'm the Moma...so yep, they are really mine!!! It is okay, really. I don't get offended by the inquiries at all. We actually had to take online classes to prepare for such. Believe it or not...our agency wanted us to know full well what type of questions, assumptions and even ignorance that we would encounter before we adopted our girls. I have to say this part of the process was a really good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment